On 24 March 1897, D Company (c.100 men) 1st Batt. Seaforth Highlanders landed at Canea, the bulk of the battalion (c.500 men) under Col. R.H. Murray going on to land at Candia (Iraklion).
According to an annotation on a similar illustration in the National Army Museum, London, it would appear that the officer on the right hand side is Capt. G.G.A. Egerton, Commander, D Co.